What are the eligibility requirements for working in Australia?
Unless you are a resident of New Zealand, working as a foreign worker in Australia may require a particular type of visitor’s pass called an ETA (Electronic Travel Authority). You can apply for one online through the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website. Once approved, you must then obtain a copy of your passport and present it along with your ETA card to any Australian immigration official who asks about your travel plans. Your employer should also provide you with a letter stating they intend to employ you in Australia.
Best Way to Get a Job in Australia as a Foreigner
Searching online is the best place to start if you are considering applying for work in Australia. This is the easiest and fastest way to find out what jobs are available and where they are located. You can also check out local newspapers and magazines for information.
Once you’ve found some jobs that interest you, you’ll need to prepare an Australian-English resume and cover letter. Again, make sure your materials are written in Australian English.
Resumés are usually kept short in Australia, but they’re not limited to one page. Two-page resumés are common for entry-level candidates or recent graduates who don’t have much professional history.
Tips for Creating an Australian CV
- Australian resumes don’t need a professional headshot attached.
- You should include your contact details: an email address, a phone number, an address, and a name.
- You don’t need to include information such as marital status and birth date.
- List your work history in reverse chronological order (most recent or current job first), and include the dates of your employment, descriptions of your responsibilities, and accomplishments.
- List your education in chronological order, including the date you graduated from high school, college, university, etc., the names of the schools you attended, and your primary/specialty and degree/certification.
You may do so here if you want to list any additional accomplishments, awards, or honors. You only need to provide contact information for these people if you plan to ask them for a reference. Just state that they’re available upon request.
Cover Letter Tips
It doesn’t hurt to include a cover note with your application. Some employers won’t even look at a candidate’s résumé without a cover note attached.
A cover sheet is an essential part of every application package. Cover sheets provide information about the applicant and their qualifications. They may include details such as name, address, phone number, email address, education history, work history, references, skills, certifications, awards, honors, publications, professional affiliations, hobbies, interests, and so forth. In addition, they may contain a summary of the candidate’s background and achievements.
- If you’re invited for an interview, consider these tips, and you’ll be one step closer to finding your perfect job in Australia.
- Before you start talking to anyone at the company, research them first. Find out who they are, where they’re from, and their role within the company.
- If you need to decide whether to wear business casual or formal attire for an upcoming job application, consider dressing appropriately to fit the company culture, but don’t worry too much about matching the exact dress code. You can learn more about dress codes in the Business Culture section below.
- Always arrive at least 15 minutes early for an interview. Be sure to show up on time!
- During your consultation, be positive and confident, but don’t come across as too cocky or arrogant.
- Practice your answers to the key and formal interviews’ most common question types. Practice providing short solutions to these types of questions. When answering any question regarding your previous job experiences, it is important to give examples.
Required References and Qualifications
You might be asked for some reference checks if they’re interested in you. It means they think you’d be a good fit for their team. Also, they may ask you for contact info so they can follow up after you’ve been hired.
References should be used sparingly. They can be helpful, but they should only take up a little space in your cover letter. You may also include links to online profiles where you discuss your skills.
It is essential to let your references know that the hiring manager may contact them. Give them information about the job you applied for, the interviewer, and the position you’re interviewing for.
If you wish to obtain an assessment of your overseas qualification, you must contact the relevant government department. You can find out what fees apply by contacting them directly. Alternatively, if you are already living in Australia, you can ask the Department of Education about obtaining an assessment of your overseas degree. They should be able to tell you whether they provide such services and how much they charge.
Networkers often believe that they’re supposed to sell themselves to others in their industries or to colleagues who might be able to provide them with future opportunities. However, good networkers establish genuine and authentic relationships with professionals in their fields. Here are some tips for doing so:
- Instead of talking endlessly, focus on listening first.
- Be ready with unique ways to get to know people better.
- Don’t rehearse an “elevator spiel” when you’re asked to talk. Speak freely, honestly, enthusiastically, and passionately.
- After the conference, follow up with anyone who attended and connect with them via email.
Minimum Wage and Average Salary
According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, the average weekly earnings for an employee in Australia stand at around AUD 1,605 (USD 1,087). However, the national minimum hourly rate in the country is just above AUD 19 (USD 13), which means that employees earn around AUD 720 (USD 490) per week on average.
An Australian worker earns $91,550 annually, including health insurance and other benefits. However, suppose you live in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth, Hobart, Darwin, Canberra, or any other city in Australia. In that case, you can afford a better lifestyle by working at a higher income level.
The Most In-Demand Jobs and How Much They Pay
Here are the average annual salaries for the top jobs in Australia.
If you’re an IT system architect, you could make 140K per year. If you’re an IT manager, you could be causing 125K per.
Other Jobs and Their Salaries
Here is a look into some other jobs in Australia, along with their average annual salaries:
Position AUD/USD Teacher 74,82450,771 Accountant 64
As an expatriate living in Australia, you must prove that you have enough money to support your needs and your family. Then, you may qualify for one of several visas, depending on your circumstances. For more information, visit our Visas and Work permits page.
In Australia, there are two types of businesses – those that start as sole traders and those that begin as partnerships. If you’re considering buying a business, you should consider purchasing a partnership or a sole trader. A partnership is where one person owns 100% of the company, whereas a sole trader owns 100% of the business. Sole traders must pay GST (Goods & Services Taxes) on any goods they sell. Partnerships do not have to charge GST.
Being a Business Owner
When buying a business, remember that some might be for sale because they’re not financially stable. So invest your money only if you genuinely believe you have the capabilities and skills to run the business well.
Starting a Business
Those who start businesses in Australia must obtain an ABN. This is an 11-digits code that identifies your business to authorities for taxation purposes. You can get one without fee through the Government Online Service Centre. To find out how to do so, visit the website below.https://www.abn.gov.au/startup/apply-for-an-abn/
For most people who move to another city, buying an existing business is usually easier than starting up their own.
There are lots of self-employed jobs available in Australia.
There are some excellent self-employment opportunities in Australia for people who want to start their businesses. These include
- construction workers;
- Pool and Spa Maintainers and Installers;
For this type of visa, you will usually need to show that you will be able and willing to contribute to the local economy by creating new job opportunities.
Other self-employed jobs with stable job growth include
- customer service assistant;
- online sales representative;
- virtual assistant;
- childcare worker;
- data entry jobs;
- freelance content writer;
- dog groomer;
- A make-up artist or beauty therapist;
- social media manager;
- online tutor;
- graphic designer;
- software developer;
Self-Employed Benefits in Australia
If you’re starting a new business in Australia, the Australian government offers various programs for both national and expatriate business owners. For example, you may be eligible for an annual grant of up to AUD 25,000 (USD 17,030).
If your business still needs to be profitable, the Australian Tax Office also offers tax breaks for small businesses. For example, if you earn up to AUD 52,700 (USD 35,900) annually before taxes, the Australian Tax Office will match half of any additional funds you contribute to your superannuation account.
Small to medium-sized business owners who turn over less than $50 million per year are subject to a lower income tax rate.
Along with this, Australia’s federal government has increased the instant business income tax offset threshold from AUD 30,000 (20k USD) to AUD 50,000 (32k USD). Other benefits include
- Making it easier for small businesses in Australia to deal with tax issues by establishing a small business concierge within the Australian Small Business Ombudsman’s offices for advice and help, allowing the Australian Taxation Authority (ATO) to cover legal costs for small businesses who challenge their decisions; creating a special division within the Administrative Appeals Tribunal for dealing with small business taxation matters.
- Cutting red tape — streamlining GST filing
- A new program called “10 Free Business Clinics” aims to provide free business advice to small businesses across Australia.
- Access to finance—creates the $1.4 billion Australian Business Securitisation Fund.
- Making invoicing easier – introducing the e-invoice system to simplify and save businesses world’s largest invoice processing company, Xero, has announced its new e-invoicing solution for Australia and New Zealand.
- Improving digital capability—establishing a non-governmental organization dedicated to helping small business improve their digital capabilities.
Find out how to get advice on working abroad in Sydney.
Find out where people from your country live and get jobs there.
Business people in Australia are pretty direct and upfront. They don’t usually need to build relationships before engaging in business dealings.
There are some things you need to know about working in Australia before you start applying for
- We’re always open to new ideas in our working culture.
- Modesty is appreciated.
- Pushy and aggressive selling tactics are not welcome.
- Be friendly, honest, and direct.
- We usually use our first name when we meet for the first time.
- Decisions take time, and patience is required.
- It’s essential for everyone involved to collaborate and share ideas. Top management will probably involve subordinates in the decision-making.
Most businesses open from Monday through Friday between 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Australian Workplace Culture Dress Code
Men should wear dark, conservative, formal attire. Women may, too, wear intelligent, professional clothing. In tropical areas, like Brisbane, for instance, the office attire may be a little more relaxed, with Bermuda shorts becoming acceptable. Casual Fridays may exist in some offices where you can wear something a little brighter and more comfortable.
If you need clarification on whether something is appropriate for your new workplace, ask someone who works there.
Social Security and Benefits
What is a TFN in Australia? In Australia, a TFN is a unique nine-digit identification code used by the Australian government to identify an individual taxpayer. A TFN can also be called a TIN or Individual National Identity Code.
You’re free to use this number for any purpose you want. Still, it would help if you got a TFN. In that case, you won’t be eligible for certain government benefits, including accessing the internet from public computers at libraries and schools, submitting your tax returns online, applying for an ABN, and using the ATO eServices portal.
Tips for landing a job in Australia:
It may seem obvious, but you need a visa to be able to work legally as an immigrant in Australia. Thus, to determine whether you are eligible for one of Australia’s work visas, you must have your skills, credentials, and experience evaluated.
A thorough evaluation will show whether you are eligible to work in Australia, which visa you qualify for, and the best course of action.
Work with a certified immigration agent registered with MARA, Australia’s Migration Agent Registration Authority, for peace of mind. The best way to ensure that you receive sound advice is to do just that.
Additionally, you will have more options if you’re dissatisfied with the service you’re receiving when working with a MARA registered agent.
The job market in Australia.
It maybe seem like a lot of work to become acquainted with the employment market in Australia, but it’s not.
The Employment Research and Statistics section of the Department of Education, Skills and Employment website in Australia has all the required data.
This section contains the Department’s research on areas where there are skills shortages, recruitment experiences, labor and skills needs, and industry and employment trends. Many reports and publications that are freely accessible present the research.
We hear you saying, “This is all well and good, but why should you investigate the job market?”
It’s not complicated; by researching the job market, you can get a good idea of which industries to target and how the market is faring.
You’ll be able to spot opportunities and advance your understanding of your specific industry by keeping an eye on the market. You are miles ahead of other job seekers who need to start using this strategy with this one!
Modify your resume and cover letter.
Your resume must be flawless, or you risk it being thrown out before anyone even looks at it.
Creating and writing your resume for the Australian job market is what we mean by “right.”
In your country, for instance, your resume might begin with your education, whereas in Australia, a summary of your main strengths would come first. Language variations are also possible. Keep in mind that Australian English is British, not American.
You can use these two articles as references to get your CV in top shape.
The Australian way to format your resume
How to format your resume for the Australian job market.
Get ready for the interview.
Let’s pretend that everything went according to plan and that you were granted an interview due to your efforts.
- By doing the following, you can leave a lasting impression.
- Understanding your visa and the immigration procedure is essential because many employers will inquire about your immigration status or the requirements for hiring you.
- Even though it’s unlikely the first interview will take place in person, you should be ready to travel to Australia if necessary. If you’re not willing, it might be used against you.
Do your research to ensure you are entirely informed about the business, Australian workplace culture, position, and the sector. All of these will inevitably be brought up in conversation.
Have copies of your visas, references, credentials, and professional registrations.
- Knowing what Australian employers require also helps. The following characteristics are favored by Australian employers, according to the Australian Government’s Job Jumpstart.
- Accepting accountability means taking ownership of your behavior.
- Honesty is being dependable, just, and sincere.
Consideration for the feelings, desires, and rights of others is referred to as respect.
- Having a strong work ethic means being devoted to the company.
- Employers in Australia seek candidates who can demonstrate that they are.
- Being adaptable means actively changing your working style to fit new circumstances and being open to new ideas.
- Business-minded people recognize that each employee plays a role in a company’s success.
- Recognize your areas of improvement while also being aware of your strengths.
- Resilient people recover quickly from setbacks.
And finally, these are the top abilities Australian employers seek in their workers.
- You can resolve a variety of problems and difficulties.
- Technical skills—those unique to a role and may call for formal training.
Prepare a strategy before you enter.
This job search is not your typical one. Instead, you wish to work in a different nation on a different continent!
Your job search needs to be organized. If you let things happen by chance, you’ll probably never find employment in Australia.
You now understand the employment process in Australia!